Tuesday, September 9, 2008

interview

Dr. Hughes, when asked what she thought of Mulroy’s argument, that grammar instruction has become less common because, “the whole concept of literal meaning has fallen into disfavor in academia,” she replied with a good deal of distaste. While she is not against the individual learning of grammar, she does not feel that it is necessary to implement within the classroom. In her opinion, there is not a need for the students to know grammatical terms in order to adequately communicate. She gave the example of trying to explain to a student that there was a sentence fragment in their paper, but instead of using this term, which they didn’t know, she talked about sentence boundaries. The student still received the information and can apply that knowledge in the future, despite the fact that a different term was used to explain the concept. Dr. Hughes is aware of the decline in grammar instruction in the past few decades, but doesn’t feel that there is need for change. If any change needs to occur, she feels that students should read and write more. She feels that these are the keys to truly grasping the language and becoming a better writer. Dr. Hughes stated that, “Student’s must have pride in their writing first,” that is, before grammar instruction is even considered.

4 comments:

A.R.B. said...

I like it how she said students should read and write more. I agree and think that tactics like Mulroy's stopping class for grammar just make students lose interest. I think if you can help students enjoy reading and writing, then coax them into being English majors, they will have to take a class of formal instruction like us. At least I know that's what happened to me. Damned Dr. Hill knew exactly what he was doing to me when he told me I would like English.

brandonmichael5 said...

You know, I'm torn here. I completely agree with everything professor Hughes said. But since starting this class, I'm not entirely dedicated to the idea that grammar in terms of titles can be overlooked.

So if I disagree with anything, it would be this. Maybe if the students knew the terms used, it would make it easier to tell them what they are doing wrong and help them fix it. I agree you can explain it without using the term, but it makes it quicker and easier.

Kris Rieck said...

Grammar is an esoteric domain that seeks to ecplsin the rules of writing. However, langugel is always evolving in terms of new bocabvocab words and new sentence structures. Texting has changed grammar tremendously. Do the old grammar rules still apply or make sense? I seriously foubt it. I graduated from ECU in 1989 & am now a Licensed Professional Counselor.

Kris Rieck said...

Oops I missed the weird mispellings that infiltrated my comments.